- I will critique TWO manuscripts each month. By "manuscript" I mean the first 1000 words of a children's magazine story, chapter book, mid-grade novel, or YA novel. Please, fiction only. No picture books or easy readers. No poetry.
- Enter the drawing by commenting on this post AND stating that you wish to enter. This frees you up to comment, ask a question, or just say hey WITHOUT throwing your name in the hat.
- For an additional entry, become a follower, and tell me so (or that you already are one).
- For additional entries, post links to this contest and give the URLs.
- You may enter one ms. per month. No one person can win both critiques in a single month.
- New: Include your email in the comment. Some of you are already doing this. If you'd rather not, that's fine -- but then be sure to check back to see if you've won!
- Enter now through Sunday October 31.
- Any story that you plan to enter in an ICL contest is ineligible. Since I am an ICL instructor, I cannot edit stories that you intend to enter in an Institute contest.
- My critique is only one opinion. This business is SO subjective. Any suggestions I make that resonate with you are yours for the taking. Compare mine with those from other beta readers, critique partners, writing teachers, etc. Even if specific suggestions vary, when two or more critiquers pinpoint a certain passage or aspect, there's probably a need for revision there. Yet don't feel you must take advice you don't agree with. In the end, it's your story.
- Winners will be announced Monday, November 1.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
October Critique Giveaway
It's critique time. This is the final critique opportunity for 2010, so enter now to win! Critique giveaways will resume in January. Here are the rules and caveats: