Thursday, March 6, 2014

In Which Not Having Time to Blog Results in Blogging

I am swamped! In a good way. There's lots of revision, and processing beta comments, and thinking about my story six ways from Sunday, and family phone calls, and planning my strategy for an upcoming writing retreat, and a manuscript to reread, and time to pray and dig into the Bible, and -- Must. Exercise. Must. Move. More! What's great is that walking, my exercise of choice, is great for both prayer and story-mulling.

What's also great is that DH (what's fun about calling him that is these are his initials) is perfectly content, nay eager, to be our main contact with the outside world. By which I mean he runs All The Errands. I tease him that the library ladies, who've taken to calling him "Mr. Marcia," would be disappointed if I showed up myself to check out the stream of books I normally keep on hold. Not all men would do this -- and with such a completely willing heart on top of it. Some men would bristle at the "Mr. Marcia" joke. Some people, frankly, would hear that phrase and suspect our family is "out of order." But he receives it in the good humor with which it's meant, and brightens others' days as he runs here and stops there. That's the man with whom I have been blessed.

So -- I am swamped, but in a good way. Do stay tuned, though, because next week I'll post about a friend's and my writing retreat at a B&B. Can't wait!

13 comments:

Barbara Watson said...

Ahhhh! Love the Mr. Marcia. Once I asked my husband to pick up some specialty shampoos and conditioners from a salon, and when he paid for them he received funny looks, I guess (he's bald). Now he won't go back. :-)

Vijaya said...

Oh, that's funny about DH! I love that he deals with the outside world. It's a great gift. Michael too, shelters me from so many of the outside responsibilities.

I'm glad you continue to blog. Let it be your online playground. Remember, all work and no play ... Enjoy your retreat.

Faith E. Hough said...

Aw, what a great man you have. Mark picks up my library books, too, sometimes--or more often he watches all the girls so I can have a ten minute mini-retreat. :)
Lent is a great time to renew goals, isn't it? I know you'll achieve yours splendidly.

Marcia said...

Barbara -- I love that story! DH has purchased some, ahem, rather womanly items for me, and he doesn't flinch. The man is embarrassment-proof.

Vijaya -- Great word: shelters. Yep, I do think a change in attitude is called for. I'll go for the more playful approach. :)

Faith -- Even ten minutes works when you're otherwise surrounded by kids, doesn't it? And you're so right about Lent being a time to renew goals.

Unknown said...

Having supportive hubbys is great! Mine does so much of the housework, which is wonderful.

Marcia said...

Katie -- Mine does a lot, too. He vacuums, puts away clean laundry, does dishes, and takes care of almost 100% of anything on the OUTSIDE of the house. He'll make scrambled eggs or grilled cheese, but I do the cooking otherwise. I run laundry through the machines, clean the kitchen and bathrooms, dust when necessary, and change the sheets -- my most hated job!

Mirka Breen said...

Sometimes it occurs to me that the more I have to do the more I actually get done.

You've got a real DH--- How nifty.

Janet, said...

We've had a few nice days lately and I have actually got to walk - Yeah!you have a great husband. My husband would do those things, too. Except he hates to go places without me. But he does love the library and the girls that work there.

Marcia said...

Mirka -- Sometimes it's like that. I don't do real well on overload, though.

Janet -- I'm looking forward to walking outside. I just don't want to wipe out on an ice patch, though. Maybe in a few weeks...

Ruth Schiffmann said...

You sound very happily busy, Marcia. Glad you are enjoying the journey. Love the nickname the library ladies have given your husband. What a good sport he is =)

Marcia said...

Ruth -- Thanks. Yeah, he is. :)

cleemckenzie said...

That's a wonderful title. And what's more wonderful is that he finds the humor in it!

Here's to always being short on time, but using what you have of it so well.

Anonymous said...

I'm at my best when I'm swamped.

I love the sound of Mr. Marcia. :)