Thursday, June 5, 2014

Filling the Well

Really, I should phrase that "letting the well fill." Part of the process is the letting, not the controlling, or worse, the forcing.

I've decided that letting the well fill isn't all about getting a new book idea. Because I have one of those. Sometimes it's about just shifting gears. Taking a vacation of the mind or spirit. Sometimes it's about being something besides a writer. Laying it all down -- which is quite distinct from kicking it to the curb.

Sometimes letting the well fill involves reading. Who am I kidding: centers on reading. But I'm going to be selective and persnickety about that rather than going on a binge or a feast. If I were a runner, I'd run, but since this is me, I'll walk. And contemplate, and...and nothing, because this is letting the well fill. And it's trying on for size the idea of needing to be nothing except God's daughter.

13 comments:

Vijaya said...

Oh Marcia, to let go and just be and remember you are God's beloved daughter! Wise words to walk by. I love that you are going to the Source of everything to be filled.

Kelly Hashway said...

Enjoy it!

Leandra Wallace said...

A very thoughtful post! Sometimes it is best to take a step back and let things just happen. 'Cuz the rest of the time we're usually running around like chickens w/our heads cut off. Or maybe that's just me. ;)

Marcia said...

Vijaya -- Lose it, find it. :)

Kelly -- I will!

Leandra -- Always an agenda isn't good. No, it's sure not just you! :)

Barbara Watson said...

Doing what you are doing is so important. We need to do more of it, us Americans especially.

Janet Johnson said...

I really love this. This is how I feel right this second. And I was just thinking I needed to read something inspiring to figure it out. Thanks for the reminder!

cleemckenzie said...

I agree with taking time to read, reflect and fill up with fresh ideas.

Mirka Breen said...

Being thoughtful about how you spend time is not persnickety in my book. The world would always have one more thing to do/read/see/ask from you.

Speaking of books- I'm a slow reader, so by necessity I'm limited. You get to be choosy by choosing choice ;)

Andrea Mack said...

As a writer I find it can be so easy to narrow my focus and forget that there are other things out there, things I need to experience to enrich my stories. Writing is almost like an obsession I can't let go of...but it's so refreshing when I do step back and then come back to writing days later. Maybe you need a break from the intensity of writing. Go enjoy yourself!

Marcia said...

Barbara -- Americans do, and life conspires against it on all sides. Sometimes it's like being caught in a web.

Lee -- Sometimes this was actually easier with young kids! Funny.

Mirka -- Yes, always one more thing, and that'll never stop, so we have to be the ones to draw the line.

Andrea -- Yes, that "just a writer" thing. I do think you're right about needing a break from the intensity!

Marcia said...

Janet -- I'm glad it helped you!

Kim Van Sickler said...

And summertime is the BEST time for filling wells! Enjoy!

Marcia said...

Kim -- Totally agree!