- My first book was rejected47 times before it sold. And when it sold, it was to the publisher that had seen it first.
- I once aced a college chemistry test in the following manner: I answered the 7 questions I knew, and wild-guessed the 13 I didn't. Results -- ALL 7 answers I "knew" were WRONG. ALL 13 I guessed were right. Highest grade in the class.
- I'm a synesthete. In synesthesia, stimulation of one of the five senses evokes response in other senses as well. Some see sounds, smell colors, hear smells, or feel sights. The most common form is seeing letters or numbers in color. I see some letters and numbers in color, but my main form of synesthesia is a little weirder: I taste words.
- It took me four tries to pass my driver's test. Right after finally doing so, I backed out of the driveway and ran over the garbage can.
- I had rheumatic fever, measles AND chicken pox in first grade. Not to mention colds (with what was then called "croup") and flu. My teacher wrote in my Christmas card, "I hope you have a healthy vacation so we'll see you again in January.” I lost so many weeks of school that I had to repeat.
- I sing in a band. In 2009 we put out our first CD, and on one track I can be heard doing something I hadn't done in years -- hitting high G. Twice.
So all of you have won an entry in the When You Reach Me giveaway. And because ONE person correctly guessed the lie, that's TWO entries for Amber Lough! Bright and early tomorrow morning, I'll post the winner of the book.